manuel.bravo [AT] imdea [DOT] org
I am a post-doctoral researcher at the IMDEA Software Institute in Madrid, Spain where I work with Alexey Gotsman. Before moving to Madrid, I was an EMJD-DC fellow at the Instituto Superior Técnico of the Universidade de Lisboa in Portugal and the Université Catholique de Louvain in Belgium where I worked with Luís Rodrigues and Peter Van Roy respectively. I was awarded a Ph.D. in Computer Science in July of 2018. I obtained my M.Sc. in July of 2013 from the Instituto Superior Técnico of the Universidade de Lisboa in Portugal and the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden as an EMDC fellow.
My research interest is in the design and implementation of distributed systems. Specifically, I am interested in understanding replication and consistency in such systems. During my Ph.D., I focused on the design of novel techniques to ensure causal consistency in geo-replicated systems.
- Making Byzantine Consensus Live. Manuel Bravo, Gregory Chockler, Alexey Gotsman. DISC 2020. To appear.
- Reconfigurable Atomic Transaction Commit. Manuel Bravo, Alexey Gotsman. PODC 2019.
- Hourglass: Leveraging Transient Resources for Time-Constrained Graph Processing in the Cloud. Pedro Joaquim, Manuel Bravo, Luís Rodrigues, Miguel Matos. EuroSys 2019.
- Distributed transactional reads: the strong, the quick, the fresh & the impossible. Alejandro Z. Tomsic, Manuel Bravo, Marc Shapiro. Middleware 2018.
- Policy-Based Adaptation of a Byzantine Fault Tolerant Distributed Graph Database. Ray Neiheiser, Manuel Bravo, Luciana Rech, Luís Rodrigues. SRDS 2018.
- Saturn: a Distributed Metadata Service for Causal Consistency. Manuel Bravo, Luís Rodrigues, Peter Van Roy. EuroSys 2017.
- Unobtrusive Deferred Update Stabilization for Efficient Geo-Replication. Chathuri Gunawardhana, Manuel Bravo, Luís Rodrigues. USENIX ATC 2017.
- Cure: Strong Semantics Meets High Availability and Low Latency. Deepthi Akkoorath, Alejandro Tomsic, Manuel Bravo, Zhongmiao Li, Tyler Crain, Annette Bieniusa, Nuno Preguiça, Marc Shapiro. ICDCS 2016.
- On the use of Clocks to Enforce Consistency in the Cloud. Manuel Bravo, Nuno Diegues, Jingna Zeng, Paolo Romano, Luís Rodrigues. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin 2015.
- Q-OPT: Self-tuning Quorum System for Strongly Consistent Software Defined Storage. Maria Couceiro, Gayana Chandrasekara, Manuel Bravo, Matti A. Hiltunen, Paolo Romano, Luís Rodrigues. Middleware 2015.
Full list at Google Scholar
- RACCOON: A Rigorous Approach to Consistency in Cloud Databases. ERC project. Funded by the European Research Council. Leaded by Alexey Gotsman.
- LightKone: Lightweight computations on the edge. H2020 European project. Funded by the European Commission. Leaded by Prof. Peter Van Roy.
- Cosmos: Causal consistency on the network edge. Portuguese national project. Funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia of Portugal. Leaded by Prof. Luís Rodrigues.
- SyncFree: Large scale computation without synchronisation. FP7 European project. Funded by the European Commission. Leaded by Prof. Marc Shapiro.
- Abyss: Autonomous systems tolerant to Byzantine faults. Portuguese national project. Funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia of Portugal. Leaded by Prof. Luís Rodrigues.